Search Novice

We're all searching for something.

06 February 2008

SEO - It's in the (domain) name

I have to say, if your company is big enough to have offices in multiple metro areas or in multiple states, and your company runs commercials on television, then you're also too big to ignore the importance of optimizing your website.

Case in point - Morgan & Morgan Law Firm. It's one of those random TV commercials that you rarely seem to notice, especially if you're a young, healthy American with no traffic tickets. However, I noticed the commercial because the URL for their firm's website seemed a bit odd to me - www.forthepeople.com.

I finally got around to typing the address into my browser and seeing what's there. But my first thought about the website is, "why don't they have the company name in the URL?"

So, I decided to look up a few related to see if this firm had registered any of them. I tried the following:
  • morganlaw.com
  • morganmorgan.com
  • morganandmorgan.com
  • morgan-morgan.com
Somehow I wasn't surprised to find that none of these had been registered by our law firm in question.

The point of all this is, if you're a mid-sized business or firm and you want to register some idealistic URL for your company website, then go ahead. But, for goodness sake, also register a URL with your company's name in it!

If a potential customer hears about you, then goes home and blindly tries to guess your website's name, he's going to be unsuccessful in finding you. Fortunately for this firm, they have captured the #1 rankings on SERPs for their company name.

You don't see firms like Orkin or Terminix (pest control) with URLs like www.WeHateBugs.com!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home