Search Novice

We're all searching for something.

09 July 2007

A few words about GoogleBlog

Google Blog >> Welcome, Postini Team

Once again, I looked at my server logs and noticed that my traffic is way down from a month ago for this site. I know that the main reason for this is the fact that my posting activity has been really low over that period. However, I also noticed a trend that has become so regular that I want to highlight it as a tip for you SEO bloggers that might be reading this -- linking to the Office Google blogs.

Notice the below screenshot, which is a picture of a typical post on the Official Google Blog:



I recently linked to this article with this post, and Google subsequently placed a link at the end of their post, linking to my post. It's an automatic script, which is effectively a back-scratching utility, sending Google's readers to other blogs and articles that provide comments on Google's post.

This is no marvel of technology of anything, so that's no the reason I'm posting about it. I am posting about it because I still see regular traffic coming in from the Google posts to which I linked - weeks after my links were created. This is simply showing that Google's blog has enough traffic from SEO-types, that their link-backs will send your blog traffic even months after your links were first created.

Now, there are a couple of obvious qualifiers here. Your blog post needs to be relevant to Google's in order to sustain this flow of readers from Google to you. You also need to post regularly. Nobody is going to read a blog that has 5 posts in the last year. Also, you need to post links directly to their post pages; don't just post links to the blog's homepage.

So, this is not really getting something for nothing. But it is a good way to get something for something. Often, bloggers' attempts to drum up traffic on blogs are unsuccessful, so this is a proven way to provide more traffic, provided your blog's subject matter is related to one of Google's blogs.

Some other Google blogs:

Google Summer of Code Blog
Google Webmaster Central Blog
Blogger Buzz
Google News Blog
Google Analytics Blog

[update 9/19/07] - Corrected the broken link "this post" just below the screenshot.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home